Calendars say April 2021, but in hospitals around Metro Detroit and Michigan it looks like April 2020 -- back when Covid was new and had no vaccines.
Two Macomb County hospitals were 100% full Wednesday -- Ascension in Warren (499 beds) and McLaren in Mount Clemens (288 beds). In Clinton Township, Henry Ford Macomb was 98% full (361 beds).
Statewide, 85% of adult intensive care beds were occupied Wednesday, including by 864 patients with confirmed or suspected Covid-19, according to the Department of Health and Human Services' daily capacity report. More than half the Covid victims in ICUs -- 470 -- were on ventilators.
Nearly a third of all adult ICU patients in Michigan yesterday had Covid diagnoses or symptoms.
Overall, the state's hospitals reported at least 4,187 confirmed and apparent Covid patients Wednesday -- up more than 400 in five days and an all-time high. Those with Covid symptoms now comprise over 23% of all adult in-patients. (Five percent of hospitals hadn't submitted daily data.)
"We're trying to take care of both patients with Covid-19 and those were coming in for other medical issues. And it is really putting a strain on our staff and our resources, and our bed space," says Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, the governor's chief medical officer.
"Patients are lining our [hospital] hallways like they were last spring. This situation is very serious," she added Wednesday afternoon at a briefing with the governor.
Dr. Nick Gilpin, medical director of infection prevention at Beaumont Health, said Wednesday the situation is "just like a runaway train right now."
Beaumont and two other Metro Detroit hospital groups gave these Covid totals Wednesday. (Numbers for each location are at the end of this post.)
Beaumont (8 hospitals): 800 patients, including 109 in ICUs
Ascension (6 local sites): 406 patients, including 68 in ICUs
Henry Ford (4 local sites): 516 patients, including 106 in ICUs
"The surge we are seeing now is very troublesome," says Dr. Adnan Munkarah, chief clinical officer at Henry Ford Health System, who also spoke at the latest Lansing briefing by Gretchen Whitmer.
"Over the past five weeks at Henry Ford Hospitals, we have seen our patients with Covid increased from 75 patients at the beginning of March to 550 patients as of this morning. This is a six-fold increase in the number of patients within four weeks." (He includes the group's Jackson hospital.)
The state health department gives regional breakdowns of confirmed and suspected coronavirus hospital admissions in nine geographic areas. Below are Wednesday numbers for Southeast Michigan, where hospitals have the largest influx of Covid cases since last spring:
♦ Wayne, Washtenaw, Monroe counties: 1,159 adults and 31 children; 258 of the adults were in ICUs, including 178 on ventilators
♦ Oakland, Macomb, St. Clair: 1,371 adults and 9 children; 214 of the adults were in ICUs, including 125 on venilators
All figures in both regional sets are higher than at the end of last week.
Here are the latest Covid case totals for individual hospitals in the three groups listed earlier:
- Beaumont Troy: 187 patients, 27 in ICU | 82% overall occupancy
- Beaumont Royal Oak: 185 patients, 22 in ICU | 88% full
- Beaumont Dearborn: 121 patients, 19 in ICU | 76% full
- Beaumont Farmington Hills: 84 patients, 11 in ICU | 91% full
- Beaumont Trenton: 75 patients, 14 in ICU | 84% full
- Beaumont Grosse Pointe: 66 patients, 2 in ICU | 74% full
- Beaumont Taylor: 54 patients, 8 in ICU | 87% full
Beaumont Wayne: 28 patients, 6 in ICU | 94% full
- - - - - - - - - - - -
- Ascension Macomb Oakland (Warren): 105 patients, 15 in ICU | 100% full
- Ascension St. John (Detroit): 105 patients, 17 in ICU | 74% full
- Ascension Providence (Novi): 71 petients, 11 in ICU | 86% full
- Ascension Providence (Rochester): 47 patients, 8 in ICU | 62% full
- Ascension Providence (Southfield): 46 patients 14 in ICU | 85% full
Ascension Macomb Oakland (Madison Hts.): 32 patients, 3 in ICU | 55% full
- - - - - - - - - - - -
- Henry Ford Macomb (Clinton Twp.): 188 patients, 26 in ICU | 98% full
- Henry Ford Detroit: 166 patients, 59 in ICU | 81% full
- Henry Ford Wyandotte: 100 patients, 15 in ICU | 90% full
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield: 62 patients, 6 in ICU | 87% full
► Support our reporting by becoming a Deadline Detroit member for as little as $3 per month.